Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cadillac Escalade

This isn't a real post, it's just too long for twitter.

In 2006 I bought my house. 2006 was also the peak year for the Cadillac Escalade (based on US sales) with just over 62,200 units sold. At the time, base models were selling for just over $57,000 US. Based on other figures in the wikipedia article, I think it's safe to say that many people purchased a model for in and around $65,000.

Which is how much I paid for MY HOUSE.

That was literally a factor when I decided to purchase my house, the fact that I could compare its purchase price to that of a vehicle. Although the Escalade is obnoxiously big, you would still be hard pressed to live in one. I sort of thought to myself, "how wrong could I go?"

Fast forward 7 years. The average price today for a 2006 Escalade is now $22,182. My house on the other hand? Well the City assessment pegs it at a cool $134,000.

Of course I realize that it's not entirely fair to compare real estate to a car, it just really was a comparison at the time. I could buy a tacky SUV (spinning hubcaps optional) or A HOUSE for the same price! How bad could the North End be?? Answer? It isn't, and I'm sure glad I chose the house (not that I was actually considering an Escalade)

Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment