Thursday, November 3, 2011

Spreading your dollars through the community

I invite you to join me tomorrow morning at the Wild Blueberry Pancake Breakfast in support of LITE. I have gone to this even the past few years and it has always been a really good time. There is entertainment and local craftspeople have booths set up. Something that really makes my day is that they use (or at least they have in the past, I imagine it will also continue this year) environmentally conscious practices. All of the plates/cups/utensils are compostable and they have volunteers to help make sure that it goes into a pile to be composted rather than the regular garbage. They also have tons of recycling bins available for the juice and milk boxes.

I'm hoping to win those Jets tickets or the West Jet airfare package so I can escape some of the upcoming winter weather!

Since clearly I love supporting anything that has to do with food, another great local option is the Ellice Cafe and Theatre which is a fantastic little non-profit in the West End. What makes it even better is right now they have one of those little deal-y things that I'm such a fan of. For a mere 10 bucks you get $20 worth of dinner and a movie pass for two! Where else can you get dinner and movie for that price? Although I would suspect that by the time all was said and done you'd be looking at about another $10 but still a bargain. I also didn't realize that they show recent movies in their little theatre - can't wait to go!

If eating in is more your thing, look into the Good Food Box offered through North End Food Security Network. At the moment I don't believe they are delivering but if you live or work in the North End they do have multiple pick up points. I've been buying this box since the summer and I always look forward to all the fresh fruits and veggies (including local produce when possible). For $12 I get enough food to fill my beautiful 1948 GE and some great recipes and the spices to go with them. I believe some of the other communites also do something similar, West Broadway being one.

So hopefully I'll see some of you tomorrow morning at the Pancake Breakfast - although, it tends to be a madhouse in there - go early to get a good seat for the entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment