Friday, January 28, 2011

Bald

In light of the recent publicity surrounding Stephanie Lozinski and her head shaving I thought I would give my two cents worth.  Now, I'm certainly no expert on employment standards or human rights, but there seems to be a lot of talk about those things going around so I think enough has been said about those things.

My question is the kindergarten question (it's my specialty, I'm not simple, I just like simple things). How exactly would her hairstyle (or lack there of it) violate a dress code? I'm sure it can be specified that an appearance is neat and tidy, which to be honest, is such a subjective thing I'm not entirely sure how that can be allowed either. But a shaved head is an EXTREMELY common hairstyle, albeit far more common for a man than a woman, but it's certainly not a new daring hairstyle. Now, I wasn't alive in the 60's or early 70's or whenever it was that men were rebelling by sporting ponytails, but based on the fact that it became socially acceptable (although I'm personally not generally a fan, just sayin') I think that society realized that it was a little ridiculous to judge people based on notions of what is an acceptable hairstyle for one gender vs. another.

Notice that I didn't factor in if she did or didn't shave her head in honour of someone fighting cancer. If she did, great. If she didn't, who cares? In my simple little mind it boils down to a gender equality issue, nothing else. Of course, I don't know if there are any male servers at Sawadee Thai (I'm a Magic Thailand girl myself) with shaved heads - if there are, open and closed case of gender discrimination. If there's not, then I guess all we can do is post comments on newspaper stories and write blogs speculating as we will never know if a male would have been fired for the same hairstyle. Now, someone get the poor girl a hat, we're heading into a deep freeze again and I'm told you lose 80% of your body heat through your head.

2 comments:

  1. The whole thing certainly opened a debate on dress code, appearance and employment.

    You have to wonder if a better solution to the problem could have been had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given that it wasn't a punk-stunt of sorts and that there was sentimental value in her choosing to do that it seems quite extreme. However dress codes and appearances do apply in the service industry....ech...

    I usually go completely bald all summer, but have never had a employer take me aside or anything like that.

    All about gender. Sadly. I think women with short hair or even nearly none at all, looks quite alright.

    ReplyDelete